This is why I, your Carlsbad Chiropractor, do not accept insurance.
1. The standard and quality of care I provide is the highest I can possibly give you. Insurance companies are not willing to recognize that, nor will they pay for this high quality and quantity of care.
2. Insurance companies would require me to do procedures and tests that are not necessary for you to receive care at this office, wasting both your time and your money. My promise to you is that I will only do what is needed for you to receive care in my office.
3. If I choose to accept insurance, that means I no longer work for you. I work for the insurance company, since they pay the bills. They then control what I do, regardless of what I or you feel you need.
4. To accept insurance I would be required to compromise and limit my ability to provide the best care possible for you. I would no longer work for you or what’s in your best interest, but I would be working for the insurance company instead. And since insurance companies are for-profit and make money by limiting the amount they pay to doctors, they do not answer to you or your health, but the stockholders. This means they would dictate what and how much I can do, and what you can receive. I would be forced, in essence, to provide you with incompetent care. That is something I am not willing to do.
5. Many people are losing insurance coverage and/or their deductible and co-pays are too high to realistically serve them as they need. Since it is illegal to charge an insurance fee and have a lower cash fee, I would be forced to charge everyone the insurance fee and those that didn’t have insurance could not afford care. I am unwilling to exclude anyone from the care they need.
6. Most insurance does not cover chiropractic care for children. I am not willing to exclude the segment of the population that chiropractic care can benefit and impact the most. It is, and always will be, easier and less expensive to grow normal children than to repair damaged adults.
7. Insurance was designed for quick, short-term symptom and disease care and treatment. Chiropractic’s objective is about enhancing all aspects of your life for a lifetime. Philosophically and clinically those two objectives are incompatible and it becomes a contradiction to try and change one objective to fit the other. Contradictions inevitably lead to disaster.
Instead of allowing insurance to dictate how you receive care, I’ve empowered you with the Honor Fee System, where you may choose your fee for you and your family. This ensures that all who want chiropractic may now get it, not based on what insurance will cover, but based on needs. You are now free from the shackles of your insurance company.
The value of insurance is to take comfort that in times of emergency, you know you are covered. Insurance will not pay for your organic meals, alkaline water, personal trainers, nutritionists, yoga, or anything done for life enhancement or preventative health measures. This is similar to getting your oil changed, which car insurance companies will certainly not cover. Oil changes keep the car healthy, but insurance only covers accidents.
So be thankful if you have an accident or emergency that you have insurance. And of course do everything in your power to try to stay away from emergency health situations. Eat your greens, exercise, think good thoughts. Above all else, make you maintain the mechanical integrity of the spine and nervous system as your foundation of life. And now you can do it without insurance!